Monday, July 09, 2012

Banned Substances

I'm still undecided about the whole Allmendinger fiasco. Above all else (and I'm writing this on Monday morning following the Saturday night revelation, so things will certainly change) any NASCAR member with a positive initial test result is entitled to due process following all NASCAR rules currently in place.  Confidentiality is part of that process. That being said, at some point in this whole mess I feel the identity of the banned substance should be revealed. 

While a rehabilitation program is the called for remediation for NASCAR members testing positive I strongly feel that part of the rehabilitation includes the entire NASCAR community which encompasses the fans as well.  If Allmendinger is positive (B sample not yet tested as I write this) then his reputation with the NASCAR fandom must be addressed as well.  As a member of that fan base I will find it extremely difficult to accept him 'back into the fold' without concrete facts.  In this instance I can't, in my heart of hearts, just shrug and say, "Ok, NASCAR says he's done his 'time'. Welcome back, AJ."

As an example, Allmendinger was arrested for DUI in 2009. His BAC was 0.08. While it is unacceptable that any professional driver drives under the influence of alcohol I am old enough to remember the day when that BAC was not high enough to qualify as DUI. I could forgive that.  On the other hand, Michael Annett had a BAC of 0.32 when he rear-ended a car in February of 2011.  That was NOT an instance of having one beer too many. ( AwareAwakeAlive ) I have not yet accepted his return to NASCAR as valid. These are personal judgments of course, but nonetheless the type of judgment every NASCAR fan will be making. Without facts any 'positive' NASCAR member will forever function under a cloud of suspicion.  Were I a driver I think I might even feel I have a mandated right to know.

I'm all for redemption but not if it comes at too frivolous a cost. Following Allmendinger's 2009 DUI his team released the following statement, "A.J. has told us that he has accepted full responsibility for his actions and will do what is right." Um, so how did that work out for ya?  NOT THIS TIME. NOT THIS TIME.

 
Update: As Bob Pockrass says in his article,  NASCAR drug policy: Get inside tests, methods, punishment, "Although NASCAR typically does not announce the drug in a driver's positive test, its policy allows for that disclosure.
“By seeking to participate in any NASCAR Event, all NASCAR Members agree that NASCAR may publish the results of any test or tests conducted pursuant to this Policy and the circumstances giving rise to such test or tests to such third parties as NASCAR, in its sole discretion, deems reasonable under the circumstances,” NASCAR’s rulebook states."

No comments: